Arden Professional Apprentice (APA) Program
"This might be a fundamental building block in helping a whole new generation of theatre artists and practitioners start and seed their own companies."
Ben Cameron, former Executive Director, Theatre Communications Group
(l-r): Jefferson Haynes (APA Class 10), Julianne Brienza (APA Class 8), Dominic Chacon (APA Class 10), Producing Artistic Director Terry Nolen, Davina Stewart (APA Class 9), Geoffrey Kershner (APA Class 8), Komal Kapoor (APA Class 10), and Jennifer Gonsalves (APA Class 7). Photo: Alan Kolc
Applications for 2016 / 17 season will be accepted beginning on FEBRUARY 11, 2016 and ending on MAY 2, 2016.
Arden Theatre Company is now accepting applications for the 2016 / 17 Apprentice Class. Over the past 23 years, the Arden's Professional Apprentice (APA) program has proven to be one of the most distinguished and rigorous theatre training programs in the country.
This program is a full-time-plus commitment running from late August to mid-June. Housing and transportation are the apprentice's responsibility. Bachelor's degree or equivalent required.
About the Program
The Arden Professional Apprentice Program's philosophy is to provide a comprehensive knowledge of the inner workings of a nonprofit regional theatre. It is designed to foster future theatre leaders. The program provides apprentices with a comprehensive knowledge of the inner workings of a nonprofit regional theatre through work in EVERY aspect of operations including front of house, box office, marketing, development, artistic, education, production, stage management, finance, and general management. Apprentices work approximately 50 hours a week in ALL departments. This is not an acting program; this is not a directing program.
The program offers a salary of $400 per week, health insurance after three months, paid time off, complimentary tickets to Arden Theatre Company productions, understudy opportunities, and the opportunity to meet and network with members of the Philadelphia community.
Please complete this online application process. KEEP IN MIND YOU MUST BE READY TO ATTACH THE FOLLOWING ONCE YOU HAVE STARTED THE ONLINE APPLICATION.
- Cover letter discussing your specific areas of interest and stating why you would like to become an Arden Apprentice
- Resume including three academic or professional references including names, titles, phone numbers and email addresses. (These should be additional references, not from people who write your recommendations.)
- Essay detailing your Five Year Plan
- And 2 letters of recommendation, preferably one from a professor and one from an employer. Non-theatre references are perfectly acceptable. Letters should be on official letterhead with contact information and a signature.
- We understand that you may not have both letters of recommendation yet and that many institutions have strict policy regarding who may receive this information. If the letters of recommendation must follow the rest of your information, they may be submitted via:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 215-922-7011
Arden Theatre Company
c/o APA Coordinator
40 N. 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Please, remember that we cannot process your application until all
materials have been received.
You will be notified via email that your application has been received. There is a two-round interview process which will begin after March 2, 2016. No interviews will be conducted before then.
Arden Theatre Company is an EOE/AA employer and values diversity in the workplace.
Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.