Now accepting applications:
Manager of Individual Giving
Title: Manager of Individual Giving
Reports to: Director of Development
Status: Full Time/Exempt Position
The Manager of Individual Giving is a member of the Development department, and reports to the Director of Development. The Development department is responsible for raising funds to support Arden Theatre Company’s work onstage, in the classroom, and in the community. The Manager of Individual Giving will develop and implement a multi-year plan for the Arden’s annual fund that is comprehensive and includes measurable goals for the program.
- Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals: manage all appeal campaigns, including direct mail; manage and monitor online giving; manage audience appeals; work collaboratively with other program areas to advance fundraising goals.
- Assist with the implementation of strategies for the major gifts program, the Sylvan Society, and the planned giving program. Manage logistics of all appeal campaigns, including direct mail. Schedule donor meetings for the Development Director and executive team and attend as needed.
- Cultivate relationships with individual donors and prospects. Conduct new donor prospecting, including: research, writing briefs, and proposal/grant writing.
- Responsible for donor database management, gift processing, development and fulfillment of donor benefits, gift recognition, donor correspondence, and mailings.
- Manages matching gifts and pledges, including tracking, acknowledgement, and fulfillment.
- Manage the Dining Partner Program and other development community partnerships.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of donor communications. Prepare regular reports on all campaign activities; support the Development Director in areas of development reporting.
- Monitor revenue and expenses related to individual giving; manage project budgets.
- Coordinate events logistics to ensure an exceptional donor experience, with a focus on cultivation and stewardship. Conceptualize and implement donor cultivation events, including Sylvan Society events.
- Assist the Director of Development in coordinating logistics for large fundraising events, including the Granfalloon, Master Storyteller Award, and additional events as needed.
- Coordinates and attends all general Board Meetings and takes meeting minutes. Assists in managing board level Engagement and Special Events committees. Provides support to other Board level committees as needed.
- Prepares Development content for stagebills and annual report.
- Coordinate with Group Sales on any Development-focused group sales/events.
- Work with the Marketing team to develop strategies for development presence in all communications and marketing.
- Manages staff, including Apprentices, Interns and Volunteers
- Works cooperatively with the Development Manager
- Reports to the Development Director
- Bachelor's Degree and 3-5 years of fundraising experience; or an equivalent combination of education/experience; major donor development experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Solid working knowledge of fundraising databases and wealth management software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience in direct marketing, e-appeals, websites, and social media communications.
- Experience in planning and executing fundraising events.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, outgoing personality and ability to initiate and enjoy direct communication with donors and potential donors; customer-service orientation. The ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff.
- Highly motivated and energetic, ability to show initiative and work independently.
- Experience with budgeting, planning and project administration.
- Ability to handle diverse, simultaneous tasks, meet deadlines, and attend to follow-through.
- Experience with knowledge of the arts philanthropic community preferred.
- Evenings and weekends are required.
Arden Theatre Company provides a competitive benefits package, including 403(b), health care and paid time off. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Arden Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category protected by law.
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to
with “Manager of Individual Giving” in the subject line. Candidates invited to interview will be asked to provide writing samples and references. No phone calls please.
About Arden Theatre Company
Founded in 1988, Arden Theatre Company is dedicated to bringing to life great stories by great storytellers – on the stage, in the classroom, and in the community. In 1995, we purchased a 50,000 square foot building in the historic Old City neighborhood, creating a two-theatre complex. We expanded our campus in the fall of 2013, opening the 22,000 square foot Hamilton Family Arts Center, our new home for process, where we rehearse plays, build sets, develop new work, and educate.
Each season, the Arden produces 7 shows - five mainstage and two Arden Children’s Theatre - resulting in over 450 performances that are seen by 100,000 people. The Arden’s work has received 307 Barrymore Award nominations and 63 Barrymore Awards for Excellence in Theatre and we have produced 40 world premieres. Our current education programs include Arden Drama School, serving 2,000 pre-school through high school students annually; Arden for All, our in-school arts education program serving 7,000 economically disadvantaged students annually; Teen Arden, an afterschool enrichment program; and the Arden Professional Apprentice program, now in its 24th year, is one of the most distinguished and rigorous theatre training programs in the country. During the 2015/2016 season, we launched the Arden Cabaret Series, bringing live music and performance in the 100-seat Studio Theatre at the Arden’s Hamilton Family Arts Center.
Learn more at www.ardentheatre.org
If you'd like to submit a cover letter and resume for future consideration, please send to Arden Theatre Company, 40 N. 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106, or fax to 215.922.7011. Thank you for your interest in the Arden!
Arden Theatre Company is an EOE/AA employer and values diversity in the workplace.
Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.